Monday, January 21, 2008

Phillippians 4 : 6-9

Be anxious for nothing but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your request be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, shall guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything is worthy of praise, let your mind dwell on these things. The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice thse things; ant the God of peace shall be with you!

Dear Loved Ones,
Today we saw my dad and as we were online reading a "blog" of another brother who is embarking on chemo & radiation my dad thought it might be a good idea for us to try and do. Now, please forgive me, I have never done a blog and am not quite sure of all that is involved but I will attempt to do this. The main idea is that we can keep you posted as to my dad's treatments and prayer requests.

When I came to this site and it asked for a unique "title" , God brought to mind part of a verse that I have heard my Dad quote so many times that I just assumed (and probably am wrong about) it was his favorite verse. But in writing it out here, I am reminded how God gives us exactly what we need at the right time.

Driving home from our visit, I let fear & worry take control for a while, and then I read His word and am reminded of His grace and am so thankful for the strength and peace that only He can give!

Anyhow, Tomorrow morning is the big day. Radiation at 8:30 and Chemotherapy ( 3 plus hrs) at 11:10. For the next two days, chemo & radiation. For the next 8 weeks daily radiation and 3 more chemo's toward the end.

Please pray for :

* That side effects on Dad's body are minimal
* That our eyes stay focused on Christ
* God will give wisdom to Dr. Shank (radiation) and Dr. Fahrenbaucher (oncologist)
* Strength for my mom
* That the treatment is effective

Thanky you for your support and prayers thus far. I will try to update you regularly :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

We love that verse and are so thankful that God has given each of you strength and His peace up to this point. As you know we've been praying and will continue to pray each step of the way. We love you dear brother (Pat & Tammy, too). Thanks, Tammy, so much for doing this.
Darlene & Bud

pat and mitch said...

Vern and Pat: Here's my second try..... The believers at church have been asking for updates ....this blog is a great idea.. I'll have them begin praying for the chemo. I've just finished reading "Facing your giants", by Max Lucado and have been thinking of the "giant" you are facing. The author highlighted how David focused on God rather than Goliath, which took away his fear of Goliath. Our prayer for you at this time is that you continue to "...fix your eyes on Jesus..." Heb. 12:2 I know that has always been your desire. May you experience His strength and peace in the next few weeks. Love you both so very much, Pat and Mitch

Bern said...

Vern and Pat - we're praying for you and love you. We'll be keeping up.